We will send more details later but please save the date for UIL and check your calendar for any issues with scheduling–
Chamber and Phil Parents and Students,
In just two weeks, on Thursday, February 18, we will have our Pre-UIL Performance for the Varsity (Chamber/Full) and Non-Varsity (Philharmonic) Orchestras here at PEARCE HS. To help you plan, I have attached the schedule. Parents, if you would like to help we will need uniform support and help with judge hospitality. Please let me know if you can volunteer!
Here’s the gist:
NV (Philharmonic) Notes:
· You will need to change into FORMAL attire as soon as school lets out so bring it to school with you!
· After School (4:20) until 6:00pm: tune, warm-up, perform and sightread
· 5:15pm: Time your parents should come watch you play and sightread.
Varsity (Full Orch) Notes:
· 4:20pm Percussion/Harp: You will need to set up your instruments on stage as soon as school lets out.
· Before 5:30pm All: You will need to change into FORMAL attire before you arrive for warm-up.
· 5:30-7:10pm: Tuning, warm-up, performance & sightread
· 6:15: Time your parents should come watch you play and sightread.
As always, let me know if you have questions!
Exam Day White Elephant Gift Exchange–
Orchestra will have our annual tradition on the exam day of each orchestra (Concert/Wed; Phil/Thurs; Chamber/Fri)–a “white elephant gift exchange.” If you are unfamiliar with this tradition, it is easy to learn.
- Bring an inexpensive, wrapped/bagged gift ($5-15 range) on your exam day.
- This can be re-gifted from previous year, food items, homemade or store-bought.
- The only rule is that it has to be school appropriate and something someone would actually want.
- Students will pick gifts randomly and have the option to steal/trade.
We’ll explain the rules in detail that day but be sure to bring something so you can participate; if you are able please bring more than one gift in case someone can’t or forgets.
In addition, we will have a party that day. Please bring snacks and treats for everyone to share. We may also order pizza if you exam is in the afternoon.
Seniors & Freshman- drinks & napkins
Juniors & Sophomores- salty & sweet
You may also want to bake or cook something more substantial. Your choice! This is an awesome event, and it’s a very nice break from taking exams.
Orchestra Winter Party-
Our yearly winter party will be held at the Braht’s house (2402 Skyview Drive, 75080) on Saturday, December 19th from 7-10pm. There will be a gingerbread house making contest, a super smash bros tournament, an ugly sweater contest, and much more. Everyone please bring snacks, with the same assignments as the white elephant party.
Hope to see everyone at both events! Love getting in the holiday spirit!
We hoped you enjoyed the Sweets and Strings Concert! In case you did not pick up a copy at the concert, here is the program from Sweets & Strings in PDF format.
Please join in congratulating sophomore, Darren Carter, who has just been named a 2016 TMEA All-State Symphony violinist. For those of you unfamiliar with the All-State music process, Darren auditioned about two weeks ago and placed #30 out of 304 Texas Violins. This is an awesome accomplishment. Way to go!!!! Darren will be featured at the December 7 concert as part of our Chamber Orchestra’s performance of Holst’s St. Paul’s Suite.
Speaking of the concert…Darren and ALL of our wonderful students look forward to seeing you for our December 7th Sweets and Strings Concert. JH Performances are from 6-7pm and HS Performance times are 7:00/7:30/8:00pm in the Pearce Auditorium with a Silent Auction and Sweets available in between groups. This is a new format this year and we hope you will enjoy. Dessert reservation forms and other info are forthcoming.
Our Step Up Drive and Orchestra Picture Day is almost here! Please read the attached email for details on this REQUIRED event. For your convenience, I have attached the picture order form.
Date: Tuesday, November 17
Photo Schedule: 5-7:30pm in the Orchestra Room
- Philharmonic Group/Individuals: 5:00-5:30pm
- Concert Group/Individuals: 5:30-6:00pm
- Chamber Group/Individuals: 6:00-6:30pm
- Individuals/Family Shots: 6:30-7:30pm
Other Events that Evening (Cafeteria):
- Step-Up Drive: 5:30-7:30pm—Come shop for a “Step-up”/Higher quality instrument. Dallas Strings is a trusted vendor and will be available to answer questions. Flyer will be sent in a future email.
- Spirit Banner Making: 5-7:30pm—Students, come assist your officers with our Beach-themed banners for the orchestra room. May the best section win!
- Officer Shirt Decorations—Officers, be sure to take advantage of this opportunity to personalize your Officer shirt!
As a reminder, the group portion of our pictures is MANDATORY and GRADED, as this will be our only opportunity to take pictures for the yearbook and our room frame. Individual photos will also be offered; this is an optional service but a very nice option if you would like a formal picture of your child in with his/her instrument(s). Please review the attached form and return it to the photographer on the day of pictures or to your child’s director if you would like to take advantage of this service.
The other events are optional but strongly encouraged and SUPER FUN! Come decorate banners, t-shirts and play on an “advanced” instrument. Thank you in advance for keeping this time open in your calendar.
We are offering a “Step-up” Drive in our cafeteria from 5-7:30pm. You may remember your child’s first string drive in 6th grade? This is similar but with instruments that are possibly more appropriate for the type of playing your child will do in high school and possibly college. This event is being hosted by Dallas Strings and will be a great opportunity for you and your child to consider a potential purchase of a high quality instrument; not only can a higher quality instrument make it more enjoyable for your child to practice but it can also make it easier for them to be successful. I still remember getting my first semi-professional instrument as a sophomore in high school and it revolutionized my ability to perform and desire to practice. With holiday gift-giving season coming up, the timing couldn’t be better!
Of course this is totally optional and not necessarily for everyone, but we’ve had so many requests from parents to do this type of event, that we felt it was finally time to host one. At the very least it should be fun for your child to come play on some instruments and compare. Please see the attached flyer for more details on what will be offered including rental and sales credit. And as always, let us know if you have any questions!