The choir had a major conflict with their May concert date due to a DSM Award show; they have many singers involved in this event and would have multiple absences. In the interest of our team approach in fine arts at Pearce and because we love our choir, we have agreed to switch dates. Please make note:
The Final Spring Concert for Pearce High School Orchestras will be on WEDNESDAY, May 17 at 7:00pm.
I hope you understand the reason for this change and identify no conflicts. If you do find any, let me know. The only thing I have noticed is that for those of you going on the trip, you will need to plan ahead and be sure to pack for our Houston trip in advance (Tuesday, perhaps?). We’ll be leaving at 6:00am the NEXT day (Thursday, 5/18). More details including an itinerary and packing list are forthcoming.
Have a great day! Go Mustangs!
It’s time to do some spring cleaning! As part of our fundraising efforts, we will be hosting an orchestra wide garage sale at the JJP parking lot at Coit and Melrose on April 8th. A well planned and well organized garage sale can be very profitable, and that is where we need your help. Remember that all monies generated directly impact each and every student in orchestra.
What we need from you:
Furniture, sheets and towels, kitchen and household items, toys, books, music, outdoor equipment, clothing, shoes, and much more!
If possible, PLEASE pre-sort, bag/box, and mark items by category (eg. household goods, toys, women’s, men’s, shoes, etc.). NO PRICING NECESSARY! But if you are able to pre-sort, we can set up more efficiently!
If possible, please bring clothing on hangers.
If you have items to donate, but cannot drop them off during set-up on the morning of the sale, please contact Alicia and arrangements can be made to get the items ahead of time.
If you have a larger item(s) that you’d like to donate, and would like to avoid transporting them, please let us know and we can offer them for pre-sale either to orchestra families and/or via an on-line “garage sale.”
Please help get the word out about the sale through social media outlets and encourage friends and family to donate items and/or come shop! Use can use the attached flyer to promote our sale.
We are in need of tables, hanging racks, hangers, empty grocery bags, and food & drink donations (for volunteers and for selling). Please use the signup genius link if you can loan or donate any items. Please label any items that you loan to the sale.
Students and family members can sign up to work at the garage sale using the signup genius link. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/60b0e45a4ae2da02-garage1
DATE: Saturday, April 8th
DROP-OFF AND SET-UP: 6:30 a.m.
SALE TIME: 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
LOCATION: JJP Parking Lot at Coit and Melrose
Any unsold items will be picked up by a charity donation truck at the end of the sale.
Current and future Pearce Students,
(JH Teachers–please pass of to your 8th graders that plan on coming to Pearce)
If you are interested in auditioning for the 2017-2018 Pearce Chamber (Varsity) Orchestra, you need to visit http://tinyurl.com/1718JJPOAudition and download/print the excerpts for your instrument (Vln 1 & 2 for violin). You should begin preparing these now for your audition in May. They are edited and bowed to my expectations so please adhere to all markings. Similar to the All-region process, you will receive a “cut” from this music to play at your audition but in the meantime you should prepare it all; recordings are available on youtube and should be utilized. In addition, you should prepare scales, sightreading (see audition letter) and the etude that will be uploaded to this folder later in April (I’ll let you know it’s there).
If you are interested in auditioning only for Philharmonic (Non Varsity), you only need to be working on scales and sightreading at this time. Your etudes/cuts will be uploaded no later than late April (we’ll email you to tell you its there). Remember, if you signed up for orchestra you are already “in,” we just need to get you in the right group. Take a look at the audition letter if you aren’t sure what is right for you.
Please let me know if you have any questions about Pearce, the auditions or the requirements this year. I know it’s a change from the past but the idea is that we will take one or both of these selections into the Fall to use on our TMEA Honor Recording. All Chamber members must be knowledgeable of the music in advance. Thank you and HAPPY PRACTICING!
WRR (Classic 101.1 radio) has selected our very own Darren Carter (11th grade) and the Pearce Orchestra as the very first featured group and soloist for their media campaign. If you’d like to check it out I’ve shared the info on Twitter:
This is our Danse Macabre from UIL Concert & Sightreading on March 2. Happy Friday!
- Dates: May 18-21; cost $450/person but we can work that out
- Chaperones are 2 per room (not 4 per like the kids); husband/wife teams welcome–find a friend and come along!
- Grandparents and guardians are welcome as well as long as they submit to the background check.
- If you have a younger child, you can bring them with you; this is a very family-friendly trip. (My 8-year old is coming too!)
- Chaperones will have 10 kids assigned to check in on periodically.
Parents and Students,
- All Honors students must play a solo.
- All students in Chamber AND Philharmonic (changed this year for Phil!) must play either a solo or an ensemble.
- Concert members MAY elect to participate as a solo or ensemble member. This is highly encouraged for members who wish to audition for Phil at the end of the year.
- All Solo and ensemble music must be approved by an director or private teacher. Solos must have piano accompaniment (unless specified “unaccompanied”); this accompaniment is arranged by the STUDENT.
- The deadline to declare your event(s) and music for RCMF is Friday, March 24.
- All members of 4th and 2nd period must participate in some type of ensemble. (Concert members have already completed this unit but may wish to take it to RCMF.)
- Ensemble music may be selected by the students (with director approval) or assigned by the directors.
- Up to one day a week in class will be dedicated to Ensemble rehearsal though students may wish to rehearse more outside of class.
- The deadline to declare the names of your ensemble members is Friday, March 24.
To all students going on the Spring Trip,
Final trip payments are due March 8, which is Friday, the end of next week (before Spring Break). Please check your trip ledger and pay your balance as soon as possible. Congratulations to all those who completed their payments already!
Questions on your Charms ledger? Contact Morgan Ambrose at email@example.com or 214-683-4102.
Orchestra members, friends, and family,
Celebrate the end of UIL by joining us at Chipotle and raising money for your JJP Orchestra at the same time! We get a 50% return on all monies spent that evening, so join us for dinner this Thursday, March 2nd, and make sure to either show the cashier the flyer or tell them that you are supporting the J.J.Pearce High School Orchestra before you pay.